Fish Kalia — (Spicy fish in  tomato gravy)

Fish is dominant  protein in Bengali  cuisine.  Mostly in every Bengali household it  is a daily household affair barring one or few days , when they go veg or either have mutton or chicken on their head — and sometimes fish and chicken , mutton both together on the  same  plate —-

There is a wide variety of fish available in West bengal — like rui, katla, bhetki, illish, telapia , tangra, pabda , chingri, mourula  —- I would like to introduce you to all the recipe’s that I am aware of and have tasted and experimented with —

Today I have made Rui Kalia —-

Star Ingredient :

Fish (Rui)

Main Ingredients :

• 500 gms of Fish (Rui)
  • 1 large sliced onion
  • 4 tablespoon of onion, ginger, garlic and green chilli paste (grinded to a fine paste )
  • 2 finely sliced ripe red tomatoes
  • 1 teaspoon of turmeric powder
  • 1 teaspoon of red chilli powder
  • 1/2 teaspoon of cumin seeds (whole)
  • 5 tablespoon of Mustard Oil ( optional) , you can use oil of your choice
  • Salt according to taste
  • 1 teaspoon of  Garam Masala powder

Method :

Marinate the fish with some salt and turmeric powder.

Fry  fish in mustard oil. Keep it aside.

Add in some more oil in the frying pan,  add some cumin seeds when the oil is hot , when the cumin seeds start spluttering and releases it’s aroma , add in the grounded paste , saute for 15 min, put in the sliced tomatoes , salt , turmeric and  red chilli powder , and again saute for another 10 min or till  oil oozes out. Now add in some warm water around 4 cups — Bring it to a boil  and now last but not the least add in the fried fishes onto it , then cover it with a lid, and let it simmer for 15 minutes  on a medium flame.

Cook the fish till water evaporates and oil oozes out — sprinkle some garam masala on top of it —  now  your fish kalia is ready to eat —-

So simple —

8 Comments Add yours

1. InspiresN says:

Hi,
    I have nominated you for the Awesome Blogger Award, please check this link: https://inspiresn.wordpress.com/2017/04/28/awesome-blogger-award/
    Congratulations!

Liked by 1 person

2. flavours2017 says:

Thanks a lot — Can you pls guide me — how to go on with this award selection , if I want to answer yr questions and nominate others — how to post this award page? sorry for disturbing you — and thanks in advance —- 🙂

3. InspiresN says:

You can visit my page https://inspiresn.wordpress.com/2017/04/28/awesome-blogger-award/ and cut paste all the stuff into a new blog post like you normally do for creating a recipe and then replace content with your selection of who you want to nominate .hope that helps.

Liked by 1 person

4. flavours2017 says:

Thanks a lot — I will definitely try this out and get back to you and thank you so much for the help😊

Liked by 1 person

5. InspiresN says:

you are very welcome !

Liked by 1 person

6. Marilu says:

Bonjour Hélène,Merci pour cette entrée en matière pertinente !Personnellement, j’ai connu la PNL lors de ma lecture des livres de Nicholas Boothman, et parmi les trois points que vous avez cités, je retiens surtout le dernier: « Devenez un excellent ob&v;eateursnbspr». Car pour connaitre son interlocuteur, il faut absolument savoir observer et écouter !A bientôt !Mathieu Articles récents…

7. Melissa says:

I’ve learn a few just right stuff here. Certainly price boarkokming for revisiting. I wonder how so much effort you put to make the sort of magnificent informative site.

8. Bertie says:

Adorable instructors don’t hurt!!! I would love that thr12&#8ee7;s a number associated with the resistance!! That really bothers me when I feel like I’m just guessing. And it’s totally like a secondary or farther down the list form of cardio for me!! Haha.Corrie Anne recently posted..